Confession- The first time I started seeds indoors I sincerely had anxiety. It took some deep soul searching to understand my apprehension. Maybe I'm the only one, but I feared my seeds wouldn't grow. Sounds silly, right?
First time transplanting broccoli, I called Larry wondering what happens if there was a freeze. He replied, "your plants die, and you buy new starts at Home Depot. No biggie."
If you're like me, take a deep breath. Realize if seeds don't grow, you won't starve and are out a couple bucks. Only two containers in my four years haven't sprouted and probably because I forgot the seeds!
Each year I create a new, "fancy" rigging system. This time I bought a shelving unit at Home Depot and connected an old florescent light fixture with tie downs.
I found cheap plastic trays at IFA and reused some of my old plant cartons. I'm trying toliet paper rolls as an alternative for cartons this year, (cut the bottoms and fold like a cardboard box.) We will see how it holds.
Also, I'm using my brain and actually keeping a grow journal. Nothing amazing, just dates and seed types. (Should have done this years ago!)
- Red bell peppers: seeds harvested last year
- Chard: Bright Lights
- Broccoli: Hybrid Super Blend
- Cauliflower: Early Snowball (would prefer Cassius)
- Kale: Dwarf Blue Scotch
- Parsley: Italian Flat Leaf (soak parsley overnight before planting)
Temptation to buy unnecessary gardening supplies always haunts me when entering a store....I really do need a package of garden labels for $7, right?!?
- Florescent lights (nothing fancy, regular bulbs- Don't be fooled into paying more for the "aqua" lights)
- Place to hang the lights (I've had my plants on the floor and a light dangling between PVC pipe)
- Pod cartons
- Seeds (very important)
- Garden plan (still on my to do list)
- Markers for seeds (Popsicle sticks, etc)
- Notebook, and calendar
Total time to setup indoor grow system and plant seeds= 25 minutes. Seriously, If I can do this you can too! I have extra florescent light fixtures if anyone needs one.