Sunday, March 11, 2012

Restaurant Roulette & Planting Schedule


Another exciting adventure ensued in a game of Restaurant Roulette. New friends joined us for a game, and I actually found a pair of huge, orange dice to roll at the dollar store! (SCORE!) 

For those who don’t know, restaurant roulette is a game Thom and I came up with where a number is chosen along with a starting point. We then drive the chosen road and count the restaurants that pass until we reach the lucky number. If we land on a national chain, we go until we hit the next local restaurant. I actually love going in the more flavorful (or sketchy) part of town because you never know what you’ll hit.

Lucky number seven was rolled and led us to…..


Asia Palace. Kim, our good sport of a friend, started to question the game as we pulled up and wanted a recount. Although a little dumpy from the outside, we decided to give it a try as none of us knew of the “Asia Palace.”

As we walked in the restaurant, it became fairly obvious this was our first time as all the patrons grew a little quiet and gave an eye (not the eye… just an eye).

The menu had over 165 items which ranged from Pho to stir fried frog legs to fried intestine. 

I sincerely wanted to try the frog legs, but then I noticed everyone in the restaurant had these giant, white bowls.
I decided to taste, what appeared to be the favorite; Pho (there are some accents missing) soup with steak and meatballs.

Pho consists of rice noodles, broth, onions, meat, and on the side are fresh basil leaves, limes, jalapeƱos, sprouts and other greens to be added to the soup while you eat.




Honestly, it was quite good, that is until I ate one of the meatballs…ick. It gave me a few shivers going down. If you decide to go there just stick with the steak.

The next day, I looked up reviews of Asia Palace to see what others thought and it actually received raving reviews for the Pho. I’ve never had Pho before so I couldn’t compare, but I definitely could see myself craving a bowl on a cold, rainy day.

I’m still working on a post with a full plant schedule, but here is what I have for this week. If you already planted last week then you are off the hook except for root crops.

Also, I need to still include seed depth and watering. Seed depth can be found on the back of your seed package and if planting indoors water every other day or keep soil moist until sprouts appear. Then go every 4-5 days.

(Sorry for slacking. Working, baby, husband, eating, gardening, and sometimes cleaning take precedence.)

6 comments:

  1. How fun! I absolutely love this idea. It would make for the best date night ;)

    P.S. Isn't it fun what you can find at the dollar store :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! What fun. I'm going to suggest this to my DH; I know he's going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh...I love the Restaurant Roulette game idea! I just may have to try it out. Although my husband might not be so adventurous.

    I'm going through garden withdrawals this spring since we're moving to a new house with no yard...no garden this year! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks like so much fun! I've never heard of restaurant roulette before and wow, that would be Such an adventure! I want to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your game and I'm a big fan of Pho. There are a lot of restaurants near me that serve it. I do avoid the balls of meat as I'm never quite sure what they are made of. I'm visiting from Voiceboks - have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha ha I died laughing when you said the meatball gave you a shiver going down... SO HILARIOUS! Okay so... I don't want to jinx us but I believe we will be going under contract this week! SO EXCITED! SO... I need your help. There is a vegetable garden already, and I want to keep it up and add more to it, but have NO IDEA! HELP?

    ReplyDelete